Read the case study to understand more about the move and how the Relocation Services Team have provided support to the company and its staff.
Global bank HSBC will be relocating the national head office of its ring-fenced bank, which will serve its personal and business customers, to Birmingham city centre.
HSBC’s decision to create the head office of its UK ring-fenced bank in Birmingham follows a review by the bank of several possible head office locations. The move will involve relocating some 1,000 roles currently based in London to Birmingham from mid-2017 onwards.
The Relocation Services Team has been working closely with HSBC since April 2015 to facilitate the relocation of the bank’s Headquarters from London to Birmingham. Below is a selection of supporting activities the Relocation Services Team has provided for HSBC:
- A large number of HSBC staff have already relocated to Birmingham ahead of the new office opening in January 2018 with help from the Relocation Services Team.
- Relocation Services has hosted a series of large-scale Familiarisation Events for groups of 20+ people and many more Familiarisation Tours for individuals and smaller groups.
- The relocation website and support tools have encouraged strong engagement with HSBC staff serving as useful platforms to develop knowledge of the region.
- The Relocation Services Team have directly assisted with enquiries from HSBC staff related to property, education and or individual Familiarisation Tours.
Antonio Simoes, Chief Executive Officer of HSBC UK, said “We have been enthusiastically welcomed by Birmingham since we announced in March 2015 that we would be creating the head office of HSBC UK in this dynamic and entrepreneurial city.
"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build a better bank. The development of our new head office in the city centre is progressing well and is due to open in January 2018."
"We have worked closely with the West Midlands Growth Company (formerly Marketing Birmingham) to support our people who are moving from London to Birmingham and we are ahead of plan as we relocate more than 1,000 head office roles, with some people having already moved with their families.”
- The 9.2 acre Arena Central site is at the heart of Birmingham city centre.
- Arena Central is master-planned to deliver 1.2 million sq ft of mixed-use development, set within a brand new landscaped public realm.